google.com, pub-2829829264763437, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Saturday, March 3, 2018

The Cambist and Lord Iron

The Cambist and Lord Iron: A Fairy Tale of Economics

By Daniel Abraham


(The Year’s Best Phantasy and Horror, 2008)

Lord Iron opened his hand in a motion of deference. Olaf cleared his throat.

“Wealth,” he said, “is not a measure of money. It is a measure of well-being. Of happiness, if you will. Wealth is not traded, but rather is generated by trade. If you have a piece of art that I wish to own and I have money that you would prefer to the artwork, we trade. Each of us has something he prefers to the thing he gave away; otherwise, we would not have agreed on the trade. We are both better off. You see? Wealth is generated. »

« I believe I can follow you so far, » Lord Iron said. “Certainly I can agree that a flat wallet is no quarantor of contentment.”

“Very well. I considered your problem for the better part of the day. I confess I came near to despairing; there is good data from which to work. But then I found my error. I assumed that your soul, my lord, was valuable. Clearly it is not.”

Lord Iron coughed out something akin to laugh, shock in his expression. Olaf raised a hand, palm out, asking that he not interrupt.

Zombie Boy. Why would Satan bother to buy your soul? He has rights to it already. Photograph by Megan Jorgensen (Elena)

“You are renowned for your practice of evil. This very evening, walking through your house, I have seen things for which I can imagine no proper penance. Why would Satan bother to buy your soul? He has rights to it already.”

“He does,” Lord Iron said, staring into the middle distance.

“And so I saw,” Olaf said. “You aren’t seeking to sell a soul. You are hoping to buy one.”

Lord Iron sighed and looked at his hands. He seemed smaller now. Not a supernatural being, but a man driven by human fears and passions to acts that could only goad him on to worse and worse actions. A man like any other, but with the wealth to magnify his error into the scale of legend.

“You are correct, boy,” he said. “The angels wouldn’t have my soul if I drenched it in honey. I have… treated it poorly. It’s left me weary and sick. I am a waste of flesh. I know that. If there is no way to become a better man than this, I suspect the best path is to become a corpse.”

“I understand, my lord. Here is the answer to your question: the price of a soul is a life of humility and service.”

“Ah, is that all,” Lord Iron said, as if the cambist had suggested that he pull down the stars with his fingers.

“And as it happens,” Olaf went on, “I have one such with which I would be willing to part.”

Lord Iron met his gaze, began to laugh, and then went silent.

“Here,” Olaf said, “is what I propose…”

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave you comment here. Thank you.