google.com, pub-2829829264763437, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Flawed

Flawed

By Cecelia Ahern



A few minutes later Tina opens the door, with a new female guard. “They're ready for you now.” Perhaps thinking of her daughter then, she softens her tone. “This is June.”

June speaks up. “Bark is heating up your iron, Flawed, gonna make it nice and hot for your pretty little skin.”

I look at Tina in horror and notice she in turn is looking at June in anger. I stop waling, terrified to go any farther, but they pull me along.

“Come on, keep walking,” Tina whispers.

I feel my legs weaken, I crumple, and Tina pulls me up.

“You're not being branded yet, Celestine. They have to name your flaws first,”

I allow them to pull me through the maze of corridors. I move limply with them, like a rag doll. We stop at a new door. Perhaps they took me out through it before. I can't remember, I was so stunned.

Tina looks at me. “Ready?”

“No.”

The door opens and the place explodes.

Flawed. Photo by Elena.

The first person I see is Carrick, who's standing in the same place at the back of the room. He stands up straighter when he sees me, turns his body in my direction, and almost follows me with it as I make my way to my seat. I sense his newfound respect for me; there will be no back to my cell wall tonight.

The room is hot and stuffy. I can smell sweat and excitement, my life the entertainment of others. I see one woman offer a bag of candy to the man beside her. They ram the sweets into their mouths as they watch me pass, eyeing me up and down as if I can't see them.

I take my seat beside Mr. Berry.

“What's happening?” I ask him, and he shrugs, looking just as confused as I am.

“Ms. Celestine North, please stand,” Crevan says.

I stand, my legs shaky beneath me. My mom clings to my dad. My granddad's cap is in his hand as he clutches it tightly, his knuckles white.

I stand alone in the courtroom and realize this is how it will be for the rest of my life, standing alone, branded Flawed forever because of one act.

I hear doors burst open, and the three judges look up.

“Don't do this,” a voice shouts from the door.

It's Art. I turn around, The disguise is gone.

“Art,” I say to him, afraid, and hear the quiver in my voice.

“Order inn the court,” Judge Crevan says, banging his gravel.

“Don't do this to her!” he yells again.

“Restrain him,” Crevan says, looking down, moving his paperwork around, nervously.

Two members of security grab his arms, and he yells and struggles as they pull him from the room. I look away, turn to the front, eyes back to the ground.

“Shall I continue?” Judge Sanchez asks Crevan in her smooth voice, all honey and calm.

“No!” he snaps. “Celestine North,” se says, looking up at me, eyes wild and bloodshot. He means business now. “Your so-called bravery in court suggests you wish to be a poster girl, and we don't take poster girls lightly. Not when the message you portray is dangerous to society. We see you as a poison that is prepared to inflict itself on our good and proper society. So take this to the people, poster girl.

“It is rare for any accused to receive more than one branding, but if you are to be looked at and adored by some in society, then let them see your flaws wherever they look. We must also take into account the seriousness of your actions, that they were done publicly, with an audience. This was not a private event that hurt a few. It was public and has become even more so. You have attracted the world's attention, Ms. North, and for that we must send a message. I will now name your brands.”

A swirl. Illustration by Elena.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave you comment here. Thank you.