google.com, pub-2829829264763437, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon

By Daniel Keyes



July 7. I don't know where the week went. Today's Sunday I know because I can see through my window people going to church. I think I stayed in bed all week but I remember Mrs. Flynn bringing food to me a few times. I keep saying over and over I've got to do something but then I forget or maybe its just easier not to do what I say I'm going to do.

I think of my mother and father a lot these days. I found a picture of them with me taken at a beach. My father has a big ball under his arm and my mother is holding me by the hand. I don't remember them the way they are in the picture. All I remember is my father drunk most of the time and arguing with mom about money.

He never shaved much and he used to scratch my face when he hugged me. My Mother said he died but Coisin Miltie said he heard his dad say that my father ran away with another woman. When I asked my mother she slapped me and said my father was dead. I don't think I ever found out the truth but I don't care much. (He said he was going to take me to see  cows on a farm once but he never did. He never kept his promises...)

July 10. My landlady Mrs. Flynn is very worried about me. She says the way I lay around all day and don't do anything I remind her of her son before she threw him out of the house. She said she doesn't like loafers. If I sick it's one thing, but if I'm a loafer that's another thing and she won't have it. I told her I think I'm sick.

Flowers for Algernon. Photo by Elena.

I try to read a little bit every day, mostly stories, but sometimes I have to read the same thing over and over again because I don't know what it means. And it's hard to write. I know I should look up all the words in the dictionary but its so hard and I'm so tired all the time.

Then I got the idea that I would only use the easy words instead of the long hard ones. That saves time. I put flower on Algernon's grave about once a week. Mrs Flynn thinks I'm cray to put flowers on a mouses grave but I told her that Algernon was special.

July 14. It's Sunday again. I don't have anything to do to keep me busy now because my television set it broke and I don't have any money to get it fixed. (I think I lost this months check from the lab. I don't remember).

I get awful headaches and aspirin doesn't help me much. Mrs Flynn knows I'm really sick and she feels very sorry for me. She's a wonderful woman whenever someone is sick.

July 22. Mrs Flynn called a stranger doctor to see me. She was afraid I was going to die. I told doctor I wasn't too sick and I only forget sometimes. He asked me did I have any friends or relatives and I said no I don't have any. I told him I had a friend called Algernon once but he was a mouse and we used to run races together. He looked at me kind of funny like he thought I was crazy. He smiled when I told him I used to be genius. He talked to me like I was a baby and he winked at Mrs. Flynn. I got mad and chased him out because he was making fun of me the way they all used to.

Algernon. Illustration by Elena.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave you comment here. Thank you.