google.com, pub-2829829264763437, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Friday, May 11, 2018

I Can See Right Through You

I Can See Right Through You

By Kelly Link


Meggie finds the dmon lover with Pilar. She says, « Can we talk? »

« What about? » he says.

Pilar says, « I’ll go get another beer, Want one Meggie? »

Meggie shakes her head and Pilar wanders off, her hand brushing against the demon lover’s hip as she goes. Fles against flesh. He turns just a little so he’s facing away from the firelight.

« It’s about the pilot for next season, » Meggie says. « I want to shoot it in Venice Beach, in our old bungalow. »

The demon lover feels something rush over him. Pour into his ears, flood down his throat. He can’t think of what to say. He has been thinking about Ray while he flirts with Pilar. He’s been wondering what would happen if he asked Meggie about Ray. Really, they’ve never talked about this. This thing that she does.

« I’d like you to be in the episode too, of course, » Meggie says.

I Can See Right Through You. Photo by Elena

He says, « I don’t think that’s a good idea. I think it’s a terrible idea, actually. »

« It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, » Meggie says. « I think it would be good for both of us. »

« Something something closure,” he says. « Yeah, yeah. Something something exposure something possible jail term. Are you insane? »

« Look, » Meggie says, « I’ve already talked to the woman who lives there now. She’s never experienced anything Will, I need to do this. »

« Of course she hasn’t experienced anything, » the demonn lover says. « It wasn’t the house that was haunted. »

His blood is spiky with adrenaline. He looks around to see if anyone is watching. Of course they are. But everyone else is far away enugh that the conversation is almost private. He’s surprised Meggie didn’t spring this on him on camera. Think of the drama. The conflict. The ratings.

« You believe in this stuff, » he says, finally. Trying to find what will persuade her. « So wht won’t you leave it alone? » You know what happened. We know what happened. You know what the story is. Why the fuck do you need to know more? » He’s whispering now.

« Because every time we’re together, she’s here with us, » Meggie says. « Didn’t you know that? She’s here now. Don’t you feel her? »

Hair stands up on his legs, his arms, the ack of his neck. His mouth is dry, his tongue sticks to the roof of his mouth. « No, » he says. « I don’t. »

Meggie says, « You know I would be careful, Will. I would never do anything to hurt you. And it doesn’t work like that, anyway. » She leans in close, says very quietly, « It isn’t about us. This is for me. I just want to talk to her. I just want her to go away. »

Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015, edited by Rich Horton, Prime Books, 2015.

Transparency. Photo by Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave you comment here. Thank you.