google.com, pub-2829829264763437, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Letter from an Ill Tenant to the Owner

Example of a Letter from an Ill Tenant to the Owner

To Owners Investments Limited

Dear Madam, Sir,

On September 15, 2018 I was served with a notice of eviction in 10 days due to my antisocial behaviour. I do not deny the claim, but by the present I kindly ask you to review your decision due to the following facts:
  1. I have mental health issues. A few years ago I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, I spent time in various hospitals, including the Toronto General hospital and I’m on medication now. At your request I can immediately provide my diagnosis and the phone number of my doctor. For the last 3 years I have been stable, and my health is greatly improving.
  2. Since I rented the apartment in your property, 3 years ago, I’ve never failed to pay my rent, I’ve never had any problems neither with other tenants, nor with the administration.
  3. This incident was an isolated incident in the last 3 years. It is directly related to my condition. Such oubursts happen very rarely and doctors say they are very unlikely to repeat. In fact, it is almost impossible that such an incident happens again. And in the very unlikely circumstances that it repeats, I’ll be the first to ask for hospitalization, as it’s my health that I care about above all. But I reiterate, the doctor assures me that the incident is very unlikely to occur again.
  4. The government of Ontario asks landords to help people with mental health issues (my case exactly). The government asks landords to accommodate persons who suffer from mental illness and to help them. I outline that I am not asking for any help, nor do I require special conditions for me. The only thing I ask you is to cancel the notice of eviction due to the reasons explained. I’d like to assure you that I care about my neighbours and about myself.
I hope you’ll understand the situation, as if I have to leave and look for another dwelling, it may have a very strong negative effect on my health. On the other side, I can only repeat that this incident will not happen again.

A big real estate. Photo by Elena

For more information about my illness and the policy of the Ontario Ministry of Health regarding the tenants with the same illness you can consult the Ontario Ministry of Health and long term care: http://www.health.gov.on.ca (specifically their vision of Housing for people with mental health issues – http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/minds-matter-report-consultation-human-rights-mental-health-and-addictions/11-housing

You can also consult the Canadian Mental Health Association – http://cmha.ca/, specifically Ontario’s position on Housing of people with mental health issues: https://ontario.cmha.ca/documents/housing-and-mental-health/

Sincerely yours,
Tenant

September 18th, 2018
Toronto, ON

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave you comment here. Thank you.